Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Blog On

You should start a blog. I have heard that line a thousand times. Then tons of questions flood my mind. What should I write ? Where do I start? What format do I like? Should I try to find a template? Is it ok to write a blog that is just like every other one I read?

I guess I will never know until I try.

So I have titled my blog Go to Time Out. Time out is a familiar parenting technique. If you have kids or have ever stumbled across the show Super Nanny, you know what I am talking about. I have often believed that I should go to time out. I do not want to sit on a little chair for the number of moments that equals my age. What I am envisioning is more like Calgon taking me away for a peaceful time.

I am not sure that I really understood needing a moment, an hour, a day away from my normal life before I became a mother. I also did not know how much brain and body power it would take to manage a full –time job and family.

So why does the phrase time out come to mind when I think I need to take a break? We tell our children to go to time out as a form of discipline. The operative word in that sentence is tell. As mothers we often need to be told to take a break. When I think I am about to snap and I am right on the verge of a class one, core melt down I do not have the sense to put myself in time out. Often my husband steps in and tells me to go. So I have to silence the voice of mommy guilt, the thoughts of work and home tasks that might be left incomplete for just a bit longer and let go.

So the next time you just cannot take it anymore, take a deep breath and go to time out…..

No comments:

Post a Comment